Sunday, June 14, 2009

I love CHIPS/fries/freets(??)!

Date: Sunday 14, 2009


Today was such a long but good day. I woke up this morning at like 530 even though christie wasn't coming to get me until 9 something. Im still a little off from jet lag.It was a really good time to just sit with God and talk...oh yeah and I atempted to make coffe lol.
We walked to church today from the house. I don't think i've been stared at so much in my life. One little girl grabbed my hand and wouldnt let go lol. At first it made me nervouse that everyone
was looking at me, but I realized once I smiled and waved, the persons entire expression and demenor(sp?) completely changed into a smile and a wave. Christi explained it as "It's kind of like you having a purple person
walking around your town" lol well I guess were the purple people right now.

The church we went to was really cool. It's at a childrens home run by a retired woman from penn. named "mama". There were so many kids there. One of the boys from the home game the sermon and a Rwandan man named John translated. He talked about
pride and how God has put us where ever we are and to rely on anything else is unstable. It was really good and really cool to see such a young kid speak with such passion (even though I couldnt understand him until after the fact lol)
After church we walked to Christi's for lunch and I love avacados! lol they are so cheap here. It's funny because fresh food here is so cheap because it's grown in such abundance while packaged food(which is cheap for us) is so expensive here because its
exported and shipped here. After lunch Chrisiti and I walked around for almost 4 hours. We walked to a catholic church on the outside of Gitirama. Theres a school at the church and so there were a lot of kids walking around. A group of little girls was following us and so I said hi to them in Kynrwanda...
hah decided to practice my skills...and one of the little girls decided to practice her english on me :) it was the coolest thing because we were both working to speak the other's language.

At the end of the day we had "Muzungu diner". Muzungu is what everyone here calls Westerners or white people. So on SundAY nights most of the development workers get together for dinner at this cafe. It was really good. Goat meat is kind of tough, but the fries here are the best ive ever had. I had a huge plate of them and
I think im going to have them everyday until i leave :)

So there were times today that I forgot I was away from home. It was weird like I know im gone, but Im so caught up in everything around me that I dont realize it. I think its one of God's ways of comforting us is different situations. He has definatly been in everything and I feel like I dont deserve the peace that He's put in my heart about everything, but I'm so thankful for it!

I miss everyone and Im thinking and praying about you guys!

Beth

2 comments:

  1. seriously, i'm on the edge of my seat hanging on each word youve typed, its so awesome! i love the smile and wave that changes the person's countenance to one of the same, utterly amazing at what outward expressions of kindness and love do. Did he use scripture in His talk, i mean, is there a usable translation for rwanda's language? how does the language sound? this is so amazing, im so glad for you!!you know how you said you forgot you were away from home.....Romans 12:5 one God, one body, one home. I'll be praying for you and the team, keep shining!
    -brwyan

    ReplyDelete