Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Running and a new coach?

Okay so its 7pm here and I just thought about it and it's only 1pm at home...hmm lol


This morning I had an opiphany lol (i dont think thats how you spell that) I've been praying alot for things like courage lately, but have found myself frustrated because I dont see that quality coming out in my life. This morning i felt like God was saying there are certain things that Hes equipped us with and its important to pray for them, but we cant passivly wait for them. Hes given us what we need to do what He wants us too, but our effort and persistance is important too. Its kind of an obvious thing but it just really came to my mind.


"Love the Lord with all your heart mind soul and strength".



Well, last night and this morning were the first times that I got to go running...not the same as at home.lol So first about a half mile after i left the house, a group of 6 little kids in school uniforms decided to try to run with me. I couldnt help but laugh ...they find everything so exciting :) i ran up to the stadium and on the back side, one little boy started herding his chickens after me? I dont even know what to say about that...when i was running away from them i wasnt sure if it was really happening hah ...then a group of little boys were playing soccer and they kept yelling "muzungu" when i ran by so i stopped to see if I could play with them..they seemed confused at first, but then let me play keep away with them..they were so cute. This moring an old man in jeans and sandals decided he wanted to race me...when he realized he was faster than me he started to encourage me to run faster by counting in french...hah I couldnt understand him but at the end he gave me a high five!


Today at the office was the day when all of the artisans bring in their products or handicrafts that they sell to Azizi Life. Azizi Life is a for profit business under FH that Tom created because technicalities prevent non-profits from buying and selling products. Their aim is to develop rural parts of southern Rwanda by encouraging and assisting small artisans cooperatives improve their products and finding new markets for them. There is so much more to development work than I ever realized. Development can be thwarted by the same people that organizations are working to help.



Tom and Christi have had problems with the artisans failing to be honest with them. Some will find various products at a low price and try to sell them to Azizi Life at a higher price and try to pass them off as their own. Lately, to account for this, if Tom or Christie are suspicous that an artist isnt telling the truth, before buying anything from them theyll have them make the product in front of them. So today i got to watch that and it was amazing :) Here is a woman making an african shaker from a dried out gord (sp?) shes been doing this for 25 years!






2 comments:

  1. I think you are so strong and brave... sweet girl... I can't imagine doing what you are doing at your age... or any age... to you ARE stepping out there in faith.... so God can give you even more courage... I am so proud of you... Halo.. My Girl... swish-swish... Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great update Beth! It's so cool what you are learning and experiencing...

    keep going...

    dc

    ReplyDelete